popular astrology concepts - accurate and understood?
A parrot repeats what it says over and over. However, it may not understand what it’s saying.
Some popular astrology lore is “parroted” – repeated again and again, often on social media – and the information isn’t understood. Or, it’s wrong.
This type of astrology is dramatic. It promotes the concept that some planets and their aspects in the astrology chart are harmful to us. As a result, our horoscope predicts an empty destiny of failure, disease, loneliness, and poverty.
If we believe we’ll be harmed by the planets in our horoscope, fear could limit our lives. Worse, some people are afraid they’re doomed by their horoscope to an early, accidental, or violent death.
Here are some popular (but false) astrology concepts that are “parroted” frequently:
- I have a horrible chart.
- Because of my chart, I can't learn, do, or be (whatever).
- Stop everything during Mercury retrograde.
- Everything breaks during Mercury retrograde.
- Angry, violent, natal Mars in Scorpio, or the 8th house, or transiting the 8th house, indicates an early or sudden death.
- Selfish, rigid Saturn causes suffering and depression.
- Irresponsible Uranus brings chaos and rebellion.
- Lying Neptune is a deceitful trickster.
- Ruinous Pluto means death.
- The 8th house is about hatred, taboos, tragedy, obsession, and things of disgust.
- The 12th house is about weakness, disappointment, sacrifices, miseries, woes, loss, how people hurt themselves, and what we can't have.
In reality, the planets don’t wound or destroy us. Horoscopes don’t show bad news, don’t tell us how or when we’ll die, and don’t indicate what we can or can’t do. We aren’t victims of our astrology charts. Our decisions and actions determine what happens in our lives.
It's important to know that when we are born the planets provide us with growth tools in the form of energies intended to help us throughout our lives.
Astrology provides insight. It helps us understand ourselves and the cosmos. Astrology charts show our gifts from the stars and their energies that create trends and possibilities, not actual events.
Planetary energies are catalysts that help us. Some planets’ natal chart placements, or transits and progressions through our charts over the years, can feel challenging or seem difficult. These situations are offered to us as learning experiences so we can turn in a new direction or move toward a better path.
Knowledge about the true roles of the planets in the horoscope is powerful. When we understand and listen to the planets, we can use the gifts they have given us in our horoscope to grow in awareness and wisdom.